Friday, November 27, 2020

Red Bike Swap, Feeling Stuck in Oregon

 Last weekend I loaded up the Ducati and dragged it north for the 9k mile service. Its gonna be a doozy because of the other stuff I need them to do like replace a foot peg bracket and the damned brake pedal sensor, but that's Ducati life for you. While I was up there I picked up my VFR finally. We'd been unable to get a new OEM fuel pump because everywhere that says they have them is lying and its indefinitely backordered due to the pandemic. I'm guessing also that big H never considered the thought that maybe a sport touring bike might ever NEED a fuel pump replaced, but given the condition of my original fuel filter, I'd suspect a clogged filter lead to the downfall of the pump.

For that matter why don't they make the filter easier to replace on a bike that people might ride long distances on and have to occasionally fill up from sketchy-ass gas stations? But I digress. I brought my VFR home and waited for my new winter gear, then took it for a few rides. The power loss problem is gone and I think the other things I'm feeling is just getting used to the bike again after spending 8k miles and 3 months on the Ducati.


Riding until sunset isn't as neat when the sun sets before 5pm.

Unfortunately/fortunately I'm working a contract job so that stops me from taking my latest fantasy trip down to where its still warm. My idea was to trailer the bike down to near Bakersfield and then ride out into Death Valley and on East to Arizona. Or maybe just avoid the snowy mountains by riding down the coast. Either way its all fantasy until I am free again and actually take that first step out the door.

Check out this fuel filter:




No comments:

Post a Comment