Friday, September 18, 2020

Turning of the Season

 

Over Labor day weekend Western Oregon got hit with a hot dry wind storm. The resulting fires destroyed several small towns and polluted the air horribly. Last night a once in fifteen year thunderstorm moved through dumping rain, lighting up the sky for hours, and knocking over trees. Because of the storm debris and leftover moisture coming down I had to move an end-of-summer ride a day later.

I've had a couple good interviews with two different companies. With the weather signaling the end of summer and my "sabbatical" coming to a close, I suppose its time to look to the future.

In college anthropology we talked about the concept of a transition ceremony or rite of passage. Growing up there's the rites of passage that mark manhood, womanhood, adulthood. After college there's the passage that is supposed to cement your place in society from student into producer. I suppose I expected that in taking some kind of trip during my sabbatical I would feel like I had passed a new rite into another season of my life. Its not that I haven't gotten in any trips this year, its just that I never got in one that I could say was transformational. I've been too stuck in my rut sitting at home looking at job websites for jobs that aren't there. 

Most autumns I think about doing some kind of weekender on the bike. Most autumns I'm also employed. So far in my time off I haven't gotten in the grand tour that I planned, and due to circumstances maybe I never will. I keep saying to myself if I have a job offer and a definite start date I'll just hop on my bike and be gone until a day before that. This week I replaced the tires and the brake pads, so the bike is ready to go at a moment's notice.

I'm good at not having a plan, I'm bad at getting started out the door.



No comments:

Post a Comment