Sunday, April 5, 2020

Blowing off Some Steam

Today should have been the Austin MotoGP. It should have been the premier of MotoAmerica Superbike at Austin. I should have spent all day in front of the TV eating pizza, drinking beer, and swearing every time the announcer says "Marc Marquez".

But alas those events were scrubbed due to C19.

As an avid reader of my musings you are aware that in an effort to combat the frustration of lockdown and my own track/race season getting... delayed I converted my ZX6R back to street trim, so I could enjoy it. All I needed was a nice day to do so.



The motorcycle gods must have made a deal with the weather gods as they made today turn nice. One of the Salem guys said "Ride at 1, meet at xxxx" and that was it. Everyone else must have been just as itchy because about 20 lads and lasses showed up for the ride.

At first everything was kind of ho hum boring, fine I'm breaking in new tires, and then it continued so. What, has the ride leader lost his rip? So of course as you know when I'm on the ZX6R I make pour decisions and I blew by them. Efff that noise, I'm gonna get my rip on, as I blew past the group and blazed my own trail.

Ironically some miles later I ran across the tail of the group who had gotten lost, so I flipped around and hung out with them for a bit until the ride leader retrieved us. Things went back to the ho-hum and as we were entering my AO and the roads I know I said "eff this" again, but this time I knew what the intended route was. Me and a 'Busa rider split off and blazed out the country road at triple digits to catch up to the rest of the group. Funny how riding the ZX6R triple digit speeds just seems so... natural. There's no fear here, just corners, just enlightenment. A truly dangerous (legally speaking) machine as its natural state is far beyond the closed mindedness of the law.

The breakaway caught up to the rest of the group at the intersection of a fun road and a hill climb which is just awesome I gotta tell you. I must concede also that its a hillclimb that I know quite well and... do not want to be in the rear of a group for. So (you see this coming don't you?) I did a little pass-on-the-left of the group and blasted up the hillclimb. Two of the faster guys on liter bikes eventually passed me but by the top there was nary a chicken strip among us.

This kind of bad (depending on your point of view) behavior continued for the rest of the miles out to the second bridge where we had our impromptu bike show and appreciation event among the fishers at the reservoir. Excuse the picture, as this many bikes in a line (this wasn't all of them) is difficult to shoot.

But don't worry, we kept our six foot distancing the whole time.

Later when I got home I made a pizza and decided to drink too much wine and blog! Fixed my depression for a few hours at least!
OMG my pizza is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment