Saturday, October 25, 2014

The second most depressing part of the year

For a sport bike rider like me, autumn is the second most depressing part of the year. During the work week I wake up and leave for work before the sun is even up, then its usually drizzling when I get off work. Combine that with small amounts of evening light and tons of tree debris on my favorite roads and it feels like a part of me has been ripped away. My whole weekly routine gets thrown into upset with sudden gaps where I realize that maybe my girlfriend was right when she said all I do is motorcycle stuff.

Coming into autumn I realized that I needed a last hurrah before the Willamette valley slipped into darkness for two months. My ticket, some medical bills, new glasses, and paying for motorcycle insurance basically tapped me out for the next few months, and I couldn't really take the time off during our last busy month at work  (darn work ethic) I elected to take a four day weekend early in November to go on a trip. Gas for a bike and meals is a bit cheaper than a trackday, gas for my car down to California, and a motel or at least its cheaper by the day.

Lets see, since last year's beer run to Northern California I have gotten the custom seat, real heated gear, waterproof textile pants and jacket, and aggressive Dunlop D616 tires. All I needed to do was swap the Dunlops for the Michelin Pilot Power tires I ran all summer and I'd be good to go. The wheel dismount and re-mount took a bit less time than it used it, I must be getting better with practice. My local bike shop didn't give me any guff about mounting my used tires, and had them back to me the same day. The local shops around here give exceedingly better service than the dealerships.



My dad wants to meet halfway for lunch tomorrow. Tomorrow the weather forecast calls for a 70% chance of rain all day. I suppose these tires and my textile gear is going to get a good shakedown test.

No comments:

Post a Comment