Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Wreck

Not a motorcycle wreck thankfully.

On the way home from the October 5 trackday at PIR I got in a wreck. The vehicles in front of me stopped suddenly and I rear ended one of them. Stuff like that happens when you're towing  with a Chevy Malibu.

ODOT and PPB showed up to contain the scene. It happened in the center lane and my vehicle was disabled so ODOT had to help me to the shoulder. After dealing with the other drivers, police, and a tow truck taking my disabled car away, Tyler and I were left on the side of I-5 with a trailer containing our bikes and gear with no way to get it home.

U-haul was taking its sweet time sending out a tow truck for the trailer, and they said we needed to remove our stuff or it would be locked up in a tow yard. Our friends were unable to get a tow vehicle, so we hatched another plan: we would convert our bikes back to street trim and ride home.

Right there on the side of I-5 we reattached street parts, removed tape, added air, and re-enabled lights. Two different riders stopped to see if we were alright. Our buddy Sam came by and picked up our excess gear leaving us and some backpacks to carry back with us.

Finally the tow truck arrived and towed away the U-haul trailer so we departed. A few miles down the Freeway the strap holding my toolbag to the back of my R6 failed and it fell off onto the chain side and started rubbing. I was on the bridges, so no place to pull off. I gingerly kept riding with visions of something getting caught in the chain in my head. Once off the bridges I pulled off and re-secured the bag (which had nearly fallen apart from rubbing on the tire).

The unoffical Wrecking Crew motto: Wreck it, keep riding.

What seemed like an eternity later (freeway riding SUCKS) we arrived home. Tired, cold, sore from the wreck/riding, and me stressed the fuck out from my car getting wrecked.

As it turns out the insurance is totalling the Malibu :(




No comments:

Post a Comment