Saturday, August 19, 2017

5 Observations chapter 2: Lies we tell ourselves

I'm back to call everyone out on their bullshit.

1. "I'm going to take it easy today". This is a biggy. I hear this from kids who show up for sport bike group rides without gear just about every month. I'm not even lying to you when I say that its happened identically twice this summer on such group rides, kids show up without gear (who had been advised they should sit this one out and they said "I'm going to take it easy") crashed and hurt themselves. Sometimes I tell this lie, but I ATGATT and keep it under freeway speeds generally so its OK, right? Other times I've heard it are when I tell someone that their twenty year old liter bike isn't safe to ride because of rusted chain, missing bolts, leaking forks, etc.

2. "I crashed because there was gravel on the road/going too hot into the corner". I'll admit I originally blamed my first crash on gravel until a more experienced rider called me on my BS and helped me analyze my crash. In so many of the crashes I've seen in the twisties, lack of traction due to gravel isn't what caused the crashed. Riders were hot into the corner and panicked from the speed or perceived gravel and stiffened up their arms (preventing the bike from turning), locked up their brakes, and tried to body steer causing excess lean angle with a bike that is upset and dumped their bike.  I've seen maybe two genuine gravel crashes and one was me. Its a lie that riders tell because they don't want to admit the crash was their fault.

3. "I don't go to the track because its too dangerous". Literally I heard this from a guy with a Special Edition CBR1000RR who was doing stand up power wheelies with no relevant protective gear besides a helmet (with mohawk) on a major highway. You can't make this up.

4. "I can't afford that school/class/necessary maintenance". This is a two part-er. I've lost track of how many times I've heard "I can't afford to..." and a breath or two later heard about the brand new Power Commander or name brand exhaust they just fitted. Like really, you'd rather spend $400 on a Power Commander to eek out another 5hp or add some carbon fiber bits rather than actually learning how to ride the damn thing or fixing the forks/new chain to replace the rusty one/replace the five year old stock tires.

5. "I need more power". This is an extension of #4. I hear this mostly from a newer rider that has a problem keeping up with the group because they don't corner proficiently. If you can't keep up with the guy on the 550lbs sports tourer in the twisties, more power isn't what you need.

Can you tell that I've spent the summer dealing with Squids on group rides? I'm looking forward to my next trackday!

No comments:

Post a Comment