Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Progressive International Motorcycle Show

Recently I went through a breakup and moved out into my own apartment. With winter rapidly closing in on the Northwest it was dangerous for me to fall into a depressive cycle of not doing anything and isolating myself. To that end I've pushed myself to be a "yes" man. No doubt you've heard of the social experiments where one says "yes" to anything asked of them socially and otherwise.

In my case I don't necessarily get overrun with social invites, so I have to make my own. One Wednesday I was lacking something to do so I looked up when the Oregon CycleGear stores were doing their bike night. I figured it was something I'd never done before, so why not? I put out word on social media that I was going to go to the Springfield bike night and waited for the work day to end.

My biker-granny/freedom fighter friend Paula answered the call (she's a "yes-woman") and we blasted south on Hwy 99, then over Beltline into Springfield. CG bike night is pretty straight forward, there's riders there, and they serve burgers and hotdogs off the grill to them. Oh, and there's a raffle. By now I'm guessing that from the title of this post you already know the outcome of the raffle.

After winning it I beat the road as fast as possible before the locals got mad at me for swooping in and winning the raffle. Once I got home I called my friends Travis and Ashleigh to tell them that I'd won tickets, and that we should all go. We had planned to be in Portland that weekend for another event, why not make it a double header?

I've got to say that MotoCorsa/Ducati really stole the show. They shut down their entire store for the weekend to staff the motorcycle show. Their staff was all aggressively friendly and tried hard to engage everyone that came into their display.

Suzuki and Kawasaki both had a very complete display as well. Kawasaki's display had a section devoted to showing off the ergonomic features of the Vulcan-S. They seem to be trying hard to reach the shorter (female) audience with it.

BMW had a very full display but my credit score wasn't high enough for me to spend much time there.

Harley had all their bikes out with lots of chrome and leather. They are heavily advertising their training program (which is great. more trained riders equals fewer deaths). The absolute WTF of their area though was the spot where you could sit on a bike and rev it. Not kidding.

Indian, Triumph, Polaris, Can Am, and one of the out-dated British mfgs all had small factory presences.

Honda, Yamaha, and KTM had no factory presence. Instead they were represented by whatever fairly recent stock one of the local dealers had on hand. Totally a disappointment. There was no Aprillia, which is too bad because I wanted to hump an RSV-4.

On to the picture dump!
First, my Swag.



^Yes he is!




^I want one with this paint scheme.


^KTM bikes ride really well but are friggen painful to even touch.























^Wish I had one of these... and a bigger garage.







^Notice anything wrong with this custom bike?























^Too many people humping this one for me to get a chance




^VR ride. The line was too long on this as well.
















^Old Suzuki racer. Cool stuff.










^Stunt show

^Stunt show



























^Its good to see Kawasaki going after the shorter riders.


"I live, I die, I live again!"

















No comments:

Post a Comment