Monday, January 27, 2014

Frost and test rides

On Saturday I went out riding Northeast of Lebanon. The roads were pretty messy with gravel and whatnot. As I got farther up into the hills the roads were wet and frosty. Wet was no big deal, my D616 rear seems to handle it well enough. The frost however was enough to make me slow way down and keep straight up through the turns. Some of my friends were going to ride Quartzville but turned back when they saw a crashed car off the road on a frosty corner.

My meandering ride took me north to Sublimity where I stopped in at the Power Yamaha dealer. They were gracious enough to let me test ride the Bolt. Its a fun little bike. Nice and torquey, a good seat, and some nice vibrations from the engine. It was very weird getting used to the riding position though, obviously quite different than the CBR.

I grabbed lunch in Lebanon then zipped home because my neck was hurting. I have this theory that its because of the ill fitting shoulders in the A* jacket I wear (I've gained a little shoulder size since I started lifting weights this year) and the high placement of the speed hump hitting the back of my helmet, tiring out my neck when I'm trying to get low on the bike. So when I got home I put on a looser jacket and went out again. Would you know it my neck didn't hurt. Guess I'll have to find a new jacket with a 360* zipper and some matching pants. The A* gear was pretty worn out anyway.

I rode out Decker road which was pretty clear most of the way. Once I got to the Philomath side I ran across some serious frost where the sun never hits during the winter. After that I doubled back, I guess its still winter even if its unseasonably sunny.
Pictured: Frost and the POV of the Bolt.


No comments:

Post a Comment